Sustainable Tourism Development 2011

Sustainable Tourism Development – PHASE 1

Purpose:To post a blog message about your course expectations.
Your task:Write a short blog post (10-15 lines) about your expectations to this course and thoughts about sustainable tourism development. In addition suggestions and ideas are much appreciated.

Read the blog posts of your fellow students and write comments to those you find particularly interesting. Write at least one comment.

Deadline:Sep 14, 2011

Keywords: ,

8 Responses to “Sustainable Tourism Development 2011”

1. Michael Pillwein says:

Nice to meet all of you 🙂

My name is Michael, i am originally from Vienna, Austria, studying „Health Management in Tourism“. I am here for an exchange term.
    I am very interested in this course since in my opinion, in the future nothing will work without sustainability. Maybe we have to get to the point where it really hurts us that all our resources are nearly exploited, but change will come (hopefully).

I already attended a course in sustainable tourism development at my own university, but this course focused more on rural development and had a lot of practical components. Therefore I want to complement my knowledge about sustainable tourism development with a more global view and some theoretical and conceptual knowledge.

Things which I am really interested in are how to actually persuade people to act in a more sustainable way. In western countries this can work by implementing a certain lifestyle (LOHAS) or sensibilizing people. However, I think it is more difficult in developing countries, where people really have to choose between money (and living) or sustainability. Indulged in “western” habits and products which they cannot afford, poverty is growing among these people. So in my point of view, it is very interesting and important to know how to implement sustainability in poor countries.

Another point which I am interested in is how to hamper the fact that the money tourists spend in developing countries often does not go to the local people but to western entrepreneurs.

Moreover, I want to gain some knowledge about the helpfulness of alternative tourism. Although it sounds very good at the beginning, I know that there is some criticism about leaving the roads mass tourists take.

Overall, I am looking forward to an interesting course!

Michael Pillwein

• Jernej Picelj says:

Hi,

my question to you is, if you really think that all our resources are exploited or just missused in many ways?
      Because how I see the whole thing, the problem in this world is PPP – 1. Profit, 2. People, 3. Planet. When it should be 1. Planet, 2.People, 3. Profit. In this world there are enough of resources for every man to be fed, to have clothes and roff above man’s head. But problem is that in that kind of world profit doesn’t take place and that is a problem of exploting resources in wrong way – usually military way.

• Fabian Märkl says:

Hey Michael. Interesting thoughts about pro poor tourism or poverty alleviation in third world countries. I think your question how to apply sustainable development in the third world we would have to analyze who are the major players when it comes to development there and what kind of policies they enact in order to ensure economical growth and sustainability. Take for instance the world bank:

from a lending institution to a development organisation
      creating the environment
      new approach: leveraging private sector resources for development goals

If you are also interested in reports or articles here a nice website where you can find articles related to poverty growth and inequality:

Greetz,
      Fabian

2. Hanne Primdahl Møberg says:

The flame has already been lit

Since I was 8 years old I have worked in an open air museum called Hjerl Hede. At that age I was a part of the “living history” in the village every summer and winter and that’s how my interest in tourism started. In one way or another I have worked within the Danish tourism industry for many years, and the job at Hjerl Hede was what started my curiosity and the flame inside me. I want to be a part of the development within the tourism industry both national and international. This is also one of the reasons why I applied for the EMTM.

My expectations for this course are among other things to get to know you all much better, to know where you come from. It is to understand and gain knowledge about how you see and think tourism in your countries, and what concerns and challenges you see ahead of us. I hope that I will achieve a larger horizon both professionally and on a personal plan. I also expect that this course will give me a bigger knowledge in the felt of tourism, a professional approach to work in the tour-ism industry and a wide network around the world. I see the course as a big opportunity to work and specialize within tourism and get a wider aspect of tools to handle and use within the tourism felt, but also to learn to put a question mark behind the new knowledge we get.

Sustainable Tourism is on everybody’s lips in the tourism industry, but is it possible to achieve in such a degree, that we can say that we truly have achieved sustainable tourism? Worldwide I think there is a long way before we can say we have achieved that. Is it achievable to have worldwide sustainable tourism, and do they have the same definition of sustainable tourism in Peru as we have in Denmark? Can you generalize sustainable tourism? What is our exact definition of sustain-able tourism and how can we achieve it?
    I still have a lot of questions and thoughts that’s not answered, but shortly I think it is achievable in some level, but it will be a never ending process and we have a long way ahead of us.

Hanne Primdahl Møberg, Denmark

3. Jernej Picelj says:

Hello 🙂

I’m travelling since I can remeber and because of that I saw a lot of Europe and countries wiht developed tourism, at least more developed as in Slovenia. Tourism in Slovenia is not so developed and have a lot of unused potential for expanding is one of the most important reason why I’m studying tourism. I decided to come to Denmark because Scandinavian countries have always been interesting to me with their social responsible government and flat land. 🙂

From course Sustainable Tourism development I’m expecting to get to know how to implement this in everyday practice in tourism and to have debate with professor and fellow students on many issues about sustainable tourism development and sustainable development in everyday life. Because we are coming from different countires and culutres and therefore we can present our point of view on what sustainable development means to us, because I think if we want to bring tourism to a whole new level we have to be connected and not compete to each other.

4. Teresa Baumgarten says:

Hey everybody, my name is Teresa and I am from Germany.

Well, here is a little summary of me meeting the term “sustainability”.

When I first got in contact with the term “sustainability” in my previous education in the Netherlands I thought “well, here goes another one of these tourism terms that I should know the definition of”. However, time after time, I realized that this term apparently IS a quite important word not only when it comes to tourism. While travelling I even caught myself thinking “Oh no, this is sooo not sustainable!”. In the end I even decided to write my bachelor thesis on this significant term and brought it in contact with the special field of wellness tourism.

In this particular research I found out that there is not much done yet – as people often misuse the term sustainability as they see it as a trend which they have to follow. And I still think, there is a lot to do in order to make this term common in a sense as it should be. Resources ARE limited worldwide and it is the task of our generation to start working on this problem.

Now, as we are from many different countries from all over the world in this class, I am really interested in getting to know different approaches, ideas and your individual experiences with sustainable developments. In my opinion this will be a very interesting start and we can sure find some very interesting stories. I expect some answers on how different countries within Europe and lets say Asia or the US approach sustainable tourism and how people can be develop a higher awareness worldwide. And what exactly can WE do as (soon) tourism professionals?

5. Fabian Märkl says:

Hey!
    With regards to my course expectations, I would like to get new insight into the development of sustainable tourism projects. I am especially interested how projects are monitored, which stakeholders are involved and how their different interests can be combined. Thus, at the end of the course, I hope to have a clear picture how sustainable tourism can be applied in different situations. Furthermore, I am particularly interested in community based tourism and how to establish local participation… So maybe some critical thoughts to that:
    Nowadays, the term sustainability resounds throughout the land. Especially in political discourse and in the “ideology” of the New World Order, it has become fashionable to make use of this term. Closely connected with the associated trends and tendencies of sustainability is the term local participation and as a result it is now part of the normal language of many development agencies, including non-governmental organizations, government departments and banks. (Pretty 1995:4 cited in Mowforth and Munt 2003)This counts as well for the tourism business since for many authors sustainability is interrelated with the participation of local communities in tourism development.
    There have been several discourses whether local participation is truly benefiting, to what extent local communities have a voice/choice in decision-, and planning-making processes and what kind of strategies are appropriate when involving local communities.
    Mowforth and Munt (2003) mention that “at various points ‘in the age of development’ (…) participation and people focused approaches have become axiomatic with development” and see participation as an “essential” criteria to sustainability and development. Also Pretty (1995 cited in Mowforth and Munt 2003) considers participation as “one of the critical components of success”. Contrary to the previous mentioned opinions, Cooke and Kothari (2001 cited in Mowforth and Munt 2003) determine participation as the ‘new tyranny’ referring to our Western First World associations and perceptions on how development should be achieved which is a critique that seeks to expose and understand the sanity in which participation is held, as well as the manner in which there are at times ‘evangelic promises of salvation. (Henkel and Sirrat 2001:178 cited in Mowforth and Munt 2003)
    However, there are several different approaches and argumentations about how participation should work, what the advantages and disadvantages are, and with what kind of obstacles one has to deal when considering local participation. Henkel and Stirrat (2001 cited in Mowforth and Munt 2003) argue that ‘it is now difficult to find a development project that does not (…) claim to adopt a “participatory approach involving “bottom-up” planning, acknowledging the importance of “indigenous” knowledge and claiming to “empower” local people’, however, Mowforth and Munt (2003) argue that ‘the two words, ”local” and “participation”, are regularly used together to emphasize the need to include and involve local people, and it is this juxtaposition of the two words which implies, paradoxically, that it is local people who have been left out the planning, decision-making and operation of tourist schemes.’ By using phrases such as targeting local people and eliciting community based participation many projects are most likely to gain local support.

Looking forward to have lots of debates with you guys,
    Fabian

6. Guilherme Fernandes says:

Hello guys,
    My name is Guilherme Fernandes and I come from São Paulo, Brasil.

I am a tourism bachelor coming a formation with emphasys in ecotourism. For the last 5 years of my life I have been envolved with a Research Group called GRUTAS – Grupo de Pesquisa em Turismo de Aventura e Sustentabilidade, which would traslate to Reserch Group on Adventurous Tourism and Sustainability. I was helping in different researches on the of adventureous tourism once I started writing my bachelor thesis in Costa Rica in 2009. In this country I found out other pillars of sustainabilty before unknown to my person. Cultural,Social, Economical and Political sustainability. So than I could get a wider vision on what we call Sustainable Development.

Therefore my expectations on this course are the best possible, since it has been my research field for a long time now. I look forward to discuss, share and gain much knowledge on this very important subject for tourism or anyother science that deals with society and its environment.